HOW TO WRITE LIKE A PRO FOR YOUR ONLINE BUSINESS
So the time has come for you to learn how to write like a pro for your online business. Just about anybody can string a sentence together, but doing it well is a completely different story. The good news is, Southern PR’s been doing it well for decades and we’re happy to share some secrets with you.
The truth is – there’s a bit of a knack to writing an engaging piece of copy. But if you’re able to follow a few basic steps your beautiful prose will stand out from the crowd.
HOW TO WRITE LIKE A PRO FOR YOUR ONLINE BUSINESS: TIP 1
CREATE A VOICE
It may seem odd that ‘voice’ and writing go together as we’re not talking about a podcast. But all great writers, businesses and influencers have their own unique ‘voice’ specific to their message, what they align with and how they portray their product. Here are three simple but effective ways to start creating your own distinguished voice.
- Decide what type of vocabulary you want to use. Base this decision on who your audience is then weave it into your writing for everything you create.
- Figure out the topics you want to cover in your content and stick to them – when you write too often about things outside your realm of expertise you can lose the trust of your audience.
- Decide what pronoun you are going to use – a company might use ‘we’ and ‘us’ whereas a blog writer might lean towards a first-person writing style with ‘I’ and ‘me’.
HOW TO WRITE LIKE A PRO FOR YOUR ONLINE BUSINESS: TIP 2
WRITE AN EPIC HEADLINE
This may seem simple, but it is so important. Without a good headline you can kiss your audience engagement goodbye. Think about the copy you’ve created, the problem you might be solving or the call to action you are asking for and put that in your headline. To pull your audience in, ask a question in your headline or leave the reader wanting to know more. Here’s a great example: Do you want to know how to write like a pro for your online business?
HOW TO WRITE LIKE A PRO FOR YOUR ONLINE BUSINESS: TIP 3
THE FIRST SENTENCE IS KEY
Once you’ve enticed your reader with your epic headline it’s time to keep them reading. No matter what you’re writing for — a website, blog, social media or a letter to the Queen – you have the opportunity to capture the attention of your audience (or bore them to tears) within the first 20 to 25 words of copy. You need your first sentence to be informative but not boring – think outside the square. It’s about balancing your important information with interest.
HOW TO WRITE LIKE A PRO FOR YOUR ONLINE BUSINESS: TIP 4
GET AN OUTSIDE OPINION
Getting an outside opinion on your writing is vital for two reasons:
- Can’t seem to cut your blog post down from 1000 words to the desired 600 no matter how hard you try? Chances are you’re too ‘attached’ to your copy. This happens to the most seasoned of writers so don’t beat yourself up. A good solution to this sometimes exhausting problem is to let someone else have a read over your copy – especially if you’re writing about something you’re personally involved with like your business or product. Often someone removed from the initial writing process is able to see the bigger picture more clearly and work through what is actually important.
- If you have the opportunity to have your writing sub-edited then always take it. When you’ve written copy, read it over a zillion times and nearly lost your marbles thinking about it there are errors your eyes and brain will skim over without even realising.
HOW TO WRITE LIKE A PRO FOR YOUR ONLINE BUSINESS: TIP 5
Create a consistent style that complements your voice. If you want to use contractions like ‘Don’t’ and ‘should’ve’ then continue to do so throughout your entire copy. Once you’ve chosen your style – stick to it!
- Create a voice using vocabulary, topic choice and a uniformed pronoun choice
- Write an epic headline to draw your readers in
- Your first sentence will be the deciding moment for your reader – make it interesting
- Get an outsider’s opinion for clarity and error checking
- Have a consistent style
By investing the right amount of time and care into delivering your message you are helping build your brand, growing trust from your audience and expanding your reach on google. Last but not least – if all else fails give us a call at Southern PR!